Thursday, May 31, 2012

Raymond Carver- Short Story

Raymond Carver
A Small Good Thing

I decided to read A Small Good Thing by Raymond Carver because the title caught my attention. I really did enjoy the story because it kept me interested and I wanted to keep reading to find out how it would end. I kept waiting throughout the story for Scotty (the little boy) to wake up and I also kept waiting for the parents to find out who hit their son with a car. It was tragic how Scotty got hit by a car and was hospitalized on his birthday. I felt even worse for the parents because there was nothing that they could do besides wait and pray. I thought everything was going to be okay when Scotty opened up his eyes but then Carver chose to have Scotty die in the story. I felt bad for the parents because no parent should ever see their child die especially as young as Scotty was. The thing I didn't like was how creepy and weird the baker was. I don't get why he didn't just act normal and tell them he was calling from the bakery and curious as to why they didn't pick up the cake. Instead, the baker doesn't make sense when he calls and then just hangs up. I noticed in Carver's story he used the literary device of imagery a lot. He used visual, auditory, tactile, olfactory and gustatory. I think using all of those drew me into the story a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment